One change I have noticed in my time of playing golf is how much more attention we are all paying to our health. Whereas the gossip in the clubhouse used to be business and politics, it’s now body mass index and joint flexibility.
The fitter golfer you are the better your game is going to be. In this article, I am going to be concentrating on the role of supplements. We all want to keep our competitive edge, and the right vitamins and minerals can help give us that little bit more.
I do want to be careful here though. In my opinion, supplements can have a role. However, they are not a complete answer. Looking after our general health is even more critical. But for a quick pick the No products found. is our favourite, read on to find out why.
Health and fitness and your golf
A lot of people these days start playing the game to improve their overall health. And there are few better sports to get you in tip-top condition without putting yourself at risk of injury.
Here are some of the ways golf will improve your health.
- You get exercise, walking around a golf course will give you a good all-around workout.
- You will improve your flexibility: swinging a golf club will help you develop flexibility and strength.
- Your balance will get better: the rough terrain of many courses helps here. Balance is as much about practice as anything and picking your way through sand, hills and rocky places will tell your brain to stand up straight. Also, you need balance to get a good golf swing.
- Your mental health and general mental wellbeing will improve. There is nothing as mood-enhancing as being out with your buddies on the course on a sunny Sunday morning.
What can supplements do for you?
If you feel you have problems in these areas, then there are some supplements which can help you out.
Energy and stamina
The more golf you play, the more you will build endurance. Eating high carbohydrate but low glycemic index (GI) foods will give you energy. To keep your energy levels up, make sure you eat plenty of complex carbohydrates. So, include wholegrain pasta, whole-wheat bread, oatmeal and beans and pulses in your diet.
You can also boost your energy by taking amino-acids. These are the building blocks of protein. They will give you more power. They will also protect against muscle loss. Talk to your physician or a good sports pharmacist about the best form and type to take for your particular metabolism.
Muscles and strength
There are many benefits from taking more protein. For example, higher-protein diets can help:
- Boost metabolism
- Accelerate fat loss
- Build and protect calorie-burning lean muscle
- Enhance exercise recovery and build strength
Flexibility and joint pain
Do you feel you are not as flexible as you would like to be when you take your golf swing? Or do you find your joints hurting when you come off the golf course? Here are some supplements which might help.
Fish oils (which you can get in capsule form) contain the all-important omega-3 fatty acids. These can improve heart health and joint flexibility. They also reduce inflammation in the joints. If you don’t want to take a pill, then you can get benefits from certain food groups. Eat more avocados, more nuts, and seeds, as well as fish of course.
Calcium is another essential for bone and joint health. It helps form bones and keeps those bones healthy as you go through life. If you suffer from joint pain, especially knee pain, then a calcium supplement may help. You can also get more calcium from your diet. I advise all golfers to try eating more dark green vegetables, such as kale, cabbage, and broccoli. Dairy products such as yogurt, milk, and cheese are also good (but they are calorie-heavy as well, so be careful if you need to watch your weight).
If you suffer from joint pain you may have low levels of vitamin D. Joint pain in golfers can be a common symptom of a lack of this vitamin. Vitamin D is vital for many of our bodily processes, such as the absorption of calcium. If you are playing golf regularly you are already helping your supplies of vitamin D. It is a vitamin which we can make naturally from being out in sunlight. If you need a boost, then think about taking a supplement which includes both vitamin D and calcium. These are easily obtainable from your pharmacist or even from the supermarket.
If you are playing a lot of golf, you may be putting a strain on the cartilage in your joints. The nutrient Glucosamine is often recommended to stop this problem before it starts. It can also lessen inflammation in the joints. You will need to take this throughout several months to see the results. Consult your physician to make sure it is advisable for you.
We often say that golf is a mental game. So, it is worth paying attention to your concentration levels. Some amino acids have been shown in clinical trials to act as brain fuel. They protect and improve the functioning of brain cells. These amino- acids also increase blood flow to the brain, which can improve your attention span. An amino acid called Acetyl-L-Carnitine is what you need here. Consult your physician for more information.
Our six best supplements for golfers
We all know that our bodies use food as fuel, but it’s a pretty complex biological process to make that happen. The body needs vitamins to metabolize food and turn it into a form of energy your body can handle and use. The most important is B vitamins. This group of essential vitamins supports the energy metabolism process in your body.
Fatigue, weakness, and digestive issues can be signs of a deficiency. If you are on the golf course and feeling tired often then this might be for you.
No products found.
Geritol® Liquid is a supplement that provides you with energy support through a combination of high potency b-vitamins: B1, B2, Niacin, B6 and Pantothenic Acid. It also has an iron supplement. It comes in an easy-to-swallow liquid.
The B-vitamins aid in your body’s metabolism process, turning food into fuel. And the iron is necessary to help move oxygen throughout your body.
- Convenient, easy to swallow product which contains many of the things you need for energy support
- The supplement offers nothing you cannot get from an ordinary balanced diet All the vitamins and iron are available in wholegrain pasta, whole-wheat bread, oatmeal and beans, and pulses, and meat.
No products found.
Easy to digest and easy to take, a supplement which will help you build strength and muscle. To be effective, you need to use it alongside an exercise regime. BioTrust sells a variety of flavors of this supplement, which comes in a drink form.
You can take your low-carbohydrate protein in chocolate, vanilla, cafe mocha, strawberry, banana, peach mango, and chocolate peanut butter flavors. The company uses a system of cold processing which they say gives much higher quality.
The manufacturers use science to make their products. They employ a science team which works to ensure the purity of these products. The low carbohydrate count in each shake means you can get a protein boost without risking weight gain. Each product contains:
- Twenty-four grams of grass-fed protein from pasture-raised cows
- Each low carb protein shake contains only four grams of net carbs
- Each shake contains gut-friendly prebiotics and protein-digesting enzymes for stomach-friendly digestion. These ingredients ensure you will get the maximum benefit from each shake.
- The low carbohydrate count in all the products means this is an easy way to increase your protein intake without risking weight gain.
- The products are free from growth hormones, antibiotics, genetically modified ingredients, pesticides, gluten, and soy.
- Also, there are no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives added.
- There is some evidence that taking too much protein, whether in a natural or in a powder form, can harm some organs. You may be especially at risk if you have ever had any kidney trouble. Consult a physician before you begin.
No products found.
This highly purified fish and krill oil come in a soft gel. It gives natural support to the cardiovascular system and will protect cells. It is easily digestible, and you will not get a nasty fishy aftertaste.
MegaRed Advanced 4in1 Omega-3 soft gels also work to help decrease any pain you may be feeling in the joints. The benefit for golfers comes from the omega-3 fatty acids EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) contained in the product. It has ultra-absorbent MegaRed krill oil which provides twice as much concentrated omega-3 compared with standard fish oil.
The producers say that their particular combination of fish oil and krill oil in MegaRed Advanced 4in1 soft gels also support brain health. This support is because omega-3 fatty acids are highly concentrated in the brain and appear to be important for our cognitive (brain memory and performance) and behavioral function. When playing golf, this may increase your concentration when playing a shot and help your mind when you are trying to recall how you played a particular hole previously.
- The high concentration of fish and krill oil and twice as much omega-3 than standard fish oil.
- Fish oil in high dosage can often cause heartburn, nausea, loose stools, or a rash. If you suffer any of these, stop taking the product and consult your physician.
No products found.
This product is free from artificial additives, fillers or colors. The manufacturers use a natural formula which delivers a substantial amount of calcium and magnesium which can improve your general health.
It is a mild all-natural formula and is suitable for nearly everyone, but especially beneficial for women. It is especially important for women to maintain their calcium health to prevent bone fractures. We would encourage lady golfers to consider this product. Other things in the product will also protect bone health. It contains magnesium, and vitamin D3 as well as calcium. All these minerals and vitamins help keep your bones healthy.
It is easy to take and to digest — an excellent choice for anyone who has found it difficult to tolerate other calcium tablets. This product contains ultra-fine powders which are very soluble in capsule form. There is no unpleasant taste. And the goodness is quickly absorbed into the body.
This formula means that you can take a good quantity of the supplements you need. You will get 500 mg of calcium, 200 mg magnesium, 1,000 mcg of boron and 250 IU of vitamin D3 in two small easy-to-swallow capsules.
- Contains more than enough calcium and magnesium in a natural and easy to absorb formula. If you need to watch your weight, they are an alternative to eating more calcium and magnesium-rich foods.
- You can get enough of all of these supplements from ordinary food. Yoghourt, milk, and cheese provide good sources.
No products found.
Bronson’s USDA Certified Organic vitamin D3 is a pure product which has no genetically modified components. It is biologically identical to your body’s own vitamin D3, so it is easily absorbed by the body and easily tolerated. It will give you more vitamin D3 than you need in one small tablet.
Vitamin D3 is a vitamin which your body produces naturally. Your body uses the sun’s ultra-violet rays to convert other nutrients into this important vitamin. However, many of us do not get enough of this essential vitamin. As we age, our ability to create D3 diminishes. Lack of sun and time outdoors are also a problem.
Vitamin D plays a vital role in calcium absorption—promoting healthy bones. If you want to play golf, healthy bones are essential. Vitamin D3 is also robust support for boosting immunity. If you’re going to golf throughout the winter without being laid low by colds, then consider this supplement.
Some emerging research seems to show that vitamin D3 is also a potent cancer-fighter, and an anti-inflammatory, it can help promote healthy blood sugar levels and it’s an exceptional mood lifter.
- Very cost-effective.
- Easy to digest and easy to take.
- The fact that it matches the vitamin D3 made naturally by your body makes it easy for your body systems to tolerate.
- If you are getting out on the golf course a lot and you live in a sunny climate this product may be superfluous.
No products found.
If you are feeling some twinges when you make a golf swing or when you bend down, this might be for you. Vimerson Health’s Glucosamine Chondroitin Turmeric & MSM is an overall aid for improving mobility, flexibility and overall health.
The Glucosamine in the product may help overcome joint stress. As joint stress can arise if you play a game like golf it can be beneficial. This product contains 1500mg of Glucosamine Sulphate.
You will also get a dose of Chondroitin, which is naturally found in the human body. An extra dose of Chondroitin may help stimulate healthy cartilage naturally and boost recovery of tissue after exercise. This can be especially beneficial if you suffer from aching or stiff knees. The product contains 150mg of Chondroitin Sulphate.
In addition, the supplement contains 150mg of Turmeric. Turmeric is the main spice in curry. It has an age-old reputation as a miracle spice. It may support overall health and can help you maintain a healthy and active lifestyle.
The compound MSM may help improve immune function, and support healthy tissue development. It provides a natural source of sulphur which is necessary for well-functioning joints. Each supplement contains 25mg of MSM.
In addition, the supplement has: Boswellia Extract (200mg), Bromelain (25mg), Quercetin (25mg) and Methionine (25mg).
- This is a good dietary supplement to ease joint pain and increase flexibility.
- It is well-priced given the wide range of ingredients.
- Eating selected foods will give these benefits naturally. They can be gained from cartilage in meat or shells of shellfish (cooked in a broth).
Best Supplements for Golfers our top choice
All the supplements we have featured will help if you suffer from the particular problem which they are designed to cope with. Keep a good eye on your general health and try the relevant supplement if you find you have problems in a certain area.
If we have to choose one supplement though we do have a clear favorite. We are going for No products found.. This is a multi-ingredient product which will strengthen cartilage and bone as well as offering a good range of general health benefits. In addition, it contains turmeric which new research is showing to be beneficial for all sorts of ailments. It is also a very effective anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory. Another important reason for choosing it is that it gives you support in areas where it is hard to get what you need from food. It can support and increase elements your body needs which your diet may fail to provide, especially if you are a vegetarian.