As we often say on this site, having the right equipment will make your golfing life more enjoyable. It means your clothing as well as your clubs. And no item is more important than your shoes. It is especially true if you have wide feet.
It is worth making sure that you get the best golf shoes for wide feet. Otherwise, your shoes will pinch. It is uncomfortable obviously, but it will also damage your game. If you are not wearing well-fitting shoes, your feet will not contact with the ground properly, and that will severely affect your golf swing. Our top choice is Mens Footjoy Freestyle Golf Shoes Saddle White/Electric Blue Size 11 M US but for more options read on.
Can I wear my trainers?
We would not recommend this. And on some golf courses, it is not allowed. Some courses insist on proper golf shoes as part of their dress code. So, if you are going to play on a new course, it is worth checking in advance to avoid embarrassment.
Even if you are allowed to wear trainers, it is not a good choice. If you are going to play regularly, it is best to get the correct shoes. The reason is to maximize the effectiveness of your swing. Golf shoes are specially designed to help you hold your balance and keep stable as you move your body through your swing. Your feet come under downward, lateral and rotational pressure when you swing a golf club. They need to transfer the weight correctly to maximize and direct the forces necessary to get that golf ball moving.
How do I tell if I have wide feet?
If your regular shoes bulge at the sides that might be a sign that you should go for a wider fitting. It is worth visiting a shoe shop and getting your feet measured. For men, the average width fitting is D. Many good golf shoes come in a wide and some in an extra wide size. The wide fitting will be slightly bigger at the front of the shoe. But it can make all the difference.
Once you have found the shoes which are perfect for you, the difference will be noticeable. You will slip less on the course, even if it is damp and the greens are soggy. You will feel more comfortable, and your feet will feel more protected. Your feet will tend to be cooler; this is especially important if you play in warm climates. Your whole lower body will feel better. You are less likely to suffer a sprained ankle and if you suffer from aching knees that should ease as well.
Golf shoes still have a reputation for being ugly and lacking style. The good news is that things have moved on recently and you can get a variety of good looking and functional shoes.
Best golf shoes for wide feet
- As one of the flagship models of Footjoy, the Freestyle Cleated Saddle BOA stands to represent the best performance possible. Elevating your style and play on the course.
- Strong synthetic upper that is waterproof.
- The Boa Closure System enables FootJoy to deliver an even higher level of comfort and stability through a truly custom fitting golf shoe no matter your size or fit preference.
- Tongue-Lok instep grip holds the tongue in place for a no-slip zone.
- Heel tab on tongue and back for easy on and off wear. Textile lining. Performance mesh is lightweight to provide breathability during the rounds. InnerSok provides support and cushioning in the heel counter. Xtra-Thick shock absorbing Fitbed with HeelLok is slip-resistant in the heel without sacrificing comfort. F.R.O.G.S. (FootJoy's Revolutionary Outsole Grip System) outsole has SoftMax molded rubber which provides more stability and cushioning for all-day play. Pulsar
This shoe has cleats and is one of the flagship models for the well-known brand, Footjoy. It has been put together by shoe designers who understand what you need in a golf shoe. The Freestyle Cleated Saddle will help your performance and play. What’s more, it is hard-wearing and long-lasting. The upper is waterproof synthetic so you can wear it and play in all weathers.
Not only that, but it also has a patented closure system and a ‘Tongue-Lok’ instep grip. The heel area has a patented InnerSok which will absorb shocks and is also slip resistant. This structure holds your foot securely and comfortably and enables your foot to move naturally and smoothly when you are making a golf swing. Your feet will stay cool as the structure is a lightweight, breathable mesh. The outer part of the shoe has FootJoy’s FROGS system. It is a molded rubber construction which gives both stability and cushioning for comfort.
- It is at the forefront of shoe technology and will give both stability and comfort for many rounds of golf.
- It can be a little challenging for golfers to get on and off especially if you are changing your shoes on the golf course and cannot sit down.
- Waterproof microfiber leather upper
- Performance midsole for cushioning and support
- Seven removable low-profile Stealth spikes
- Heel overlay for increased stability
- Durable 2-color rubber outsole
Etonic has made a beautiful shoe with a sophisticated look. The iconic brand is one of the oldest sports shoe manufacturers in the United States. It has been manufacturing sports sneakers for over one hundred and fifty years. This wealth of experience shows in this excellent all-around shoe. It is part of the Stabilizer range which does achieve what they say. These shoes feel comfortable and supportive and sturdy when you are out on the golf course.
It has a waterproof microfiber leather upper. It gives extra flexibility and choice as it features low-profile removable stealth spikes. Support and comfort are made for you by a particular performance construction in the midsole of the shoe. For stability in the heel, there is a heel overlay. The outer sole is rubber and comes in a two-color combination. The shoe has a two-year waterproof warranty, so you have no excuse for not playing when the weather is less than perfect. It comes in a wide fitting for all sizes.
- Lots of technology and excellent manufacture means you can rely on this shoe to last.
- The snug fit around the heel area may feel uncomfortable for some users.
- Spikeless, durabel grip TPU outsole
- Ultra-lightweight, responsive ULTRA Flight cushioning
- GOGA MAX insole delivers enhanced high-rebound cushioning
- Water resistant
- Synthetic Upper
From well-known manufacturer Skechers, this is a shoe which is especially suitable for any woman who plays golf and needs a wide shoe fitting. It is a spikeless shoe with a very robust and thick rubber sole — an extremely comfortable shoe which is also very lightweight. You will be able to wear these shoes all day, however challenging your golf course is, and still feel fine. The unique lightweight construction of the shoe also makes it very responsive. You will notice a difference in your golf swing as soon as you put these shoes on. The structure makes them very sensitive as you turn and swivel while making your golf swing. They have a synthetic upper part and are water resistant.
They look very good with a two-color design and are available in a variety of colors. The firm grooved soles are exceptionally stable when you are going up or down a hill on the golf course. They are especially suitable for ladies with wide feet and will hold the foot securely and in comfort. With a GOGA MAX insole, you will feel comfortable even when walking over rough and stony terrain.
- Lightweight and comfortable.
- Stylish for a wide woman’s fitting, which is often hard to find.
- These shoes are not entirely waterproof but will keep your feet dry in light showers or a dewy early morning.
- Lace-up golf shoe featuring brand callouts at tongue, counter, and lateral side
- Goga Mat technology with high-rebound cushioning
- Padded collar and tongue with soft fabric shoe lining . The heel height is 1 inch
- Durable rubber traction plate
These are a good choice if you have extra wide feet as they are available in an extra wide fitting. Extra wide fitting can be difficult to find in golf shoes, so these are very welcome. They come from top shoe brand Skechers and come with the quality, stylish looks and durability for which that brand is renowned. They are made of one hundred percent synthetic material and have a rubber role. The insole has the unique Skechers Goga mat energy return system, which gives extra stability and comfort as you move around the golf course. It will also allow your foot to sit securely and freely in the shoe as you take a golf swing. The shoe lining is a soft fabric which will keep your foot cool even in the hottest weather. The shoe padded collar and tongue holds securely on your foot and stops any slipping.
They look smart with a white and navy or charcoal and blue color design.
- A very comfortable shoe for any golfer who has extra wide feet.
- When they are new, they can squeak a bit when walking. It does wear off after a few rounds though.
- There is a warranty on these shoes, but it is only forty-five days long.
- Debossed lines on the upper provide added structure and a stable feel
- Aggressive rubber outsole delivers green-friendly traction for a variety of conditions
- Water-repellent upper helps keep you dry
- Full-length Phylon provides lightweight comfort and a stable feel
- Pull tab on the tongue provides easy on and off
It is a shoe from the sports megabrand, Nike. They are leather and synthetic mixture with a rubber sole. Nike’s expert sports technology has gone into this shoe, and it feels very secure. Its rubber outsole will keep your feet stable and will not slip even on damp grass. You can play in wet conditions in these shoes as they have a water repellent upper.
They are very easy to get on and off as they have a single pull on tab on the tongue of the shoe. They give enough stability to protect the knees and the ankles and are especially suitable for older golfers. They are spikeless which will reduce torque, and therefore pressure and strain on older knees and ankles. Senior golfers also especially value the excellent traction they give.
Golfers will not need to worry about sliding or tripping in these shoes. They are one of the most comfortable golf shoes on the market and can be worn straight from the box for a full round of golf without any rubbing or chaffing. They clean very quickly and will stay looking good for a long time
- Extremely comfortable.
- Excellent traction and stability will stop you slipping even on wet grass and hilly terrain.
- Not fully waterproof.
- Not the longest lasting shoes on the market.
Best golf shoes for wide feet our choice
Mens Footjoy Freestyle Golf Shoes Saddle White/Electric Blue Size 11 M US wins here for a general all-round golf shoe for the golfer with wide feet. With this shoe, you can get a large fitting and still keep the design and technology of one of the best golf shoes around.