Playing golf in wet weather means you need to ensure you have the best waterproof equipment. There is nothing more miserable than rain running down the back of your neck as you take your swing. But don’t just think about the rain. We recommend that you choose gear which protects you from the wind as well.
Some of the courses you will be playing at will have varying and sometimes changing weather, so be prepared for whatever the sky can throw at you. Also, you will want to be comfortable as well as dry. Breathability is essential too as you will be moving quite a lot and that means sweating. You need clothing which is well ventilated to keep you feeling good.
The low-down on waterproofing
When you see the label ‘weatherproof,’ it can cover a lot. Different degrees and different types of materials will offer varying degrees of protection. You can get completely waterproof materials that can keep you dry in the harshest of showers. These tend to fall on breathability though. Then there are new hi-tech materials which will lessen the impact of the wind when you are out on the course. Here is our quick guide to rain golf gear labels. It will help you choose the best golf rain gear for your needs
- Waterproof: does what it does. It will keep the rain out and keep your clothing dry whatever the conditions and the length of your game.
- Rainproof: not quite as robust as waterproof, this will still offer a reasonable degree of protection even in a heavy shower. Indeed, it will keep you drier than an ordinary golf jacket.
- Windproof: this will protect you from sharp breezes and biting winds. But unless it says so, do not expect it to protect you from rain as well.
What you need and when
As your golf game progresses, you might find you enjoy playing in different weathers. We spend most of our time playing on sunny courses in the USA. But every year we try to make the trip across the pond to Britain. Here our favorite courses are the famous ones in Scotland. We like St Andrews, especially. But a less well-known course, and one which is a bit different is this one at Largs. It has a gentle feel, almost park-like. And it has excellent views out to the sea and the beautiful Isle of Arran. But whichever course we are playing in Scotland, we make sure we are prepared for the rain.
And it isn’t only a jacket. The rain in Scotland can tip down, and you need to be covered entirely. So, as well as a jacket, you will need waterproof pants and a good hat which keeps the rain off your face and your neck. We hate nothing more than water dripping down our necks.
Even if you play in more clement climates, it is worth being prepared for bad weather. The best modern golf rain gear is very light and packs up very small, so you can easily carry it. You can then not worry and get on with your game.
So, here is our guide to the best golf rain gear.
We are featuring below the best of the jackets and pants and hats which will protect you from the rain and also give you the flexibility you require to play unhindered by the elements.
Best golf waterproof gear for men
- Lifetime Waterproof Warranty
- Incredibly Soft Fabric With Slight Stretch
- Patented Back Pleats for Freedom of Motion
- One Hand Draw Cord
- Anti Chafe Chin Guard
This jacket solves the tricky balancing act of keeping you dry but also not too hot for those summer wet days. Being a half-sleeve jacket, it won’t restrict your swing. The loose-fitting of the sleeves also provide for breathability too. The blended material of 80% Nylon and 20% elastane makes it lightweight and soft with a slight stretch to it. The cuffs are also Velcro adjustable for custom fitting. It is also machine washable. One feature which stands out is the manufacturer’s waterproof warranty giving you confidence. It is a quality feature backed by the famous Gore-Tex tech. It has a limited number of colors, and although the size fits as expected 83% of the time, it only has small/medium/large options.
- Waterproof and loose-fitting is excellent for those wet summer days with lifetime waterproof warranty
- Limited number of colors and sizes
- Waterproof guarantee - Gore-Tex fabric and storm-level construction is guaranteed waterproof and fully breathable
- Keep water out, thanks to the micro taped seams and water-resistant zips - ideal for unpredictable or persistent weather conditions
- Pack it in - paclite technology enables the fabric to fold down into a handy mesh 'stuff sac', saving vital space and weight in your pack
- Work hard, stay cool - three-quarter-length water-resistant side-zips help with ventilation and make pants easier to remove
- Elasticated waist for comfort and ease-of-wear
It is another strong showing from Berghaus. Using the standard famous waterproof tech Gore-tex, this will keep you dry in the worst of wet weather. The material is also breathable. The seams are micro taped. Even the zips are waterproof. The Paclite tech does what it says on the tin by packing the entire pants into a mesh stuff sack for maximum portability and convenience. It also has three-quarter length zips on the side, which makes the pants easier to remove. Another feature which makes it comfortable to wear is the elasticated waist. It has an outstanding array of sizes to fit almost anyone from X-small to 3X-Large.
- Manufactured with tried and trusted Gore-Tex to provide waterproofing and breathability.
- A vast array of sizes fits almost anyone.
- It only comes in black
- HydroLite technology offers lightweight, waterproof protection
- Four-way stretch fabric allows unrestricted movement
- Sealed seams to protect your belongings
- Waterproof zipper
- Scorecard pocket
The FootJoy Hydrolite jacket is made with golf in mind. Its flexibility allows for the full, unlimited range of golf swings. The material is light and waterproof with sealed seams and zipper. The sleeves of this jacket detach for when the changing weather dictates, making it fairly versatile. It also has a protected chest pocket for your golf card or wallet. It comes in six color combination, and it fits as expected in 89% of cases with sizes ranging from X-small to XXX-Large. A slight drawback might be the full zipper which might bulge when you bend.
- Light and waterproof with detachable sleeves.
- Good color selection
- The full zipper might bulge when you bend.
- Waterproof Construction
- Moisture Wicking Sweatband
- Reflective Callaway Logo
No round-up about rain equipment is complete without featuring hats. It is one of the best we have found.
As the name suggests, this is a bucket hat, which is waterproof and ideal for the wet weather. It also keeps warm if you wear it in the winter. It’s very comfortable and of lightweight construction (100% polyester) while it still has a moisture-wicking sweatband. The sizes run smaller than the description. It is fantastic value for money. The brim is well sized to keep off the rain.
- Ideal for wet weather and even winter
- The fitting range is quite extensive with L-XL and S-M sizes, and it runs mostly smaller than advertised.
If you are looking for a pantsuit, you could do no worse than this combo. It’s incredibly good value too. It’s waterproof with sealed seams, and it also protects you from the wind as well. Having a mesh lining helps with breathability. Impressively, the entire combo packs quite small in a neat square. Being made of 100% polyester is very light, not weighing more than 3 pounds. The Velcro adjustable cuffs make it comfortable and prevent rain from seeping in. The zipper is full length and sealed. The full-length zipper does mean that it’s slightly prone to bulge when bending. It comes in seven colors. It fits as expected in 74% of cases. You need to check the manufacturer size chart to avoid disappointment as it’s an imported item.
- It is waterproof and windproof with excellent breathability.
- It’s an imported item, so be careful you choose the correct size.
Best golf rain gear for men conclusion
The best item we’ve highlighted above has to be the Berghaus Men's Paclite Gore-Tex Waterproof Pants Its Gore-Tex tried and tested tech makes it solidly waterproof and highly breathable. The Paclite feature also makes it packable into an incredibly small space.
Best golf waterproof gear for women
We feature below some of the best waterproofs for the golfing ladies. They are stylish as well as efficient — the perfect gear for keeping you dry and comfortable in the worst wet conditions out there.
- Callaway women's golf jacket with contour panels, waterproof full front zipper, adjustable cuffs, drop hemline with drawcord, and Callaway Tour logo on center-back neck and left sleeve
- Waterproof fabric keeps out water completely
- Stretch fabric ensures maximum range of motion
- Soft fabric finish enhances comfort with a smooth feel
- Breathable fabric allows air to move through freely
This stylish waterproof jacket from Callaway does what it says. Its blend of viscose, nylon, and elastane gives you the breathability and flexibility you require on the links.
It features a full-length zipper and adjustable Velcro cuffs to keep the rain away from your arms and body. It also has a drop hemline with a drawcord for comfort. The discrete Callaway logos on the back and left sleeve add to the overall classy feel of this jacket. It comes in three colors only. It has an excellent range of sizes.
- Stylish and waterproof.
- It also gives you the breathability and flexibility required on the golf course
- A limited number of colors
- Full Interior Wind Flap and Anti Chafe Chin Guard
- All Seams are Sealed for Guaranteed Waterproofness
- Adjustable Stowaway Hood with Adjustable Visor
- Draw cord System Hidden in Pockets
- Bemis Abrasion Tape at Pockets for Added Durability
This lightweight jacket from Zero Restriction looks excellent and provides the wet weather protection required. The two-year waterproof warranty from the manufacturer is also re-assuring. It features a full interior wind flap and anti-chafe chin guard for comfort. The seams are sealed for all-round protection from the water ingress. The hood can be stowed away as well. The under-arm mesh also offers the breathability you require. It has an excellent fit, and the length of the sleeves is right given the size. It comes in three colors. The size range is X-small to Medium only.
- Lightweight and with waterproof warranty.
- Highly breathable as well.
- It comes only in three colors.
- The size range is limited.
- You're steps closer from reaching the top when you're sporting the durable Under Armour UA CGI Chutes Ins Pants.
- All Under Armour Apparel features a tagless design or tear-away tag with no left-over pieces.
- UA Storm [10,000mm waterproof / 10,000gm breathable] technology delivers water-resistant protection.
- Stretch, cotton-knit softshell offers windproof construction to keep you protected from harsh elements.
- ColdGear Infrared fleece lining uses a soft, thermo-conductive coating that absorbs and retains body heat to keep you warm. [60g] PrimaLoft insulation is lightweight and provides added comfort. Fully taped seams ensure weatherproofing. Belt loop waist with adjustable hook-and-loop tabs at sides. Zip fly with button closure. Leg ventilation with mesh gussets improve body temperature regulation. Zip hand pockets. Flap cargo pockets with zip closure. Leg gaiter with boot lace hook. Bo
These 100% polyester pants from Under Armour are not only waterproof but also cold insulated to allow play on any course in winter. The construction is windproof as well. The subtle pattern ensures it is not only practical but also stylish. It benefits from belt loops and adjustable waist tabs for quick-fit comfort. The insulation is lightweight and also breathable. The boot gaiter with a clip ensures that it secures to the laces. For convenience, it has zippered hand pockets and flap cargo pockets. It comes in three colors only. The sizes cover from X-Small to X-Large. It is also machine washable.
- Being waterproof, windproof and breathable covers all bases
- Low cut in the back, which can be uncomfortable to some wearers
- ONE SIZE FITS MOST: Casual style suitable for men and women. Rear adjustable elastic drawstring design, one size fits most adult head circumference 22-24inch.
- SUN PROTECTION & WATER REPELLENT: Wide brim 3.7-3.9inch keeps your face and neck safe from harmful rays. Water repellent polyester material ideal for wearing in outdoors.
- COMFORABLE & BREATHABLE: Adjustable chin cord holds the hat in place on windy days. Built in sweatband removes sweat from eyes and face. Two-side mesh vent keeps your head cool and comfortable.
- PACKABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT: The hat can be folded in half, easily carried inside your bags. Great choice for regular daily use and outdoor activities especially like bush walking, fishing, hunting, camping, cycling, baseball, golf, tennis.
- QUALITY GUARANTEE: The hat is only manufactured and sold by EINSKEY. We are responsible for our product quality and customer service. DO NOT buy counterfeits from third-party sellers. If you have any questions, please contact us and we will reply you in 12 hours.
This versatile hat provides protection from the sun as well as the elements. It’s made of a polyester material which is waterproof and breathable as well. It has an adjustable chin cord to keep it in place even in windy and rainy conditions. The moisture-wicking sweatband keeps you comfortable. It can be folded in half and is very convenient to carry as the material is lightweight. It comes in four colors. The one size fits all might not be ideal for all.
- Waterproof, breathable and easily packable with a moisture wicking sweatband
- Only one size, so not suitable for everyone.
- 3000 mm Water-Resistant
- 100% Polyester Ripstop Fabric and Fully Lined with Breathable Mesh
This incredibly good value combo is water-resistant and also wind-resistant to keep you comfortable in adverse conditions. It comes in three colors and is fully lined with a breathable mesh. Being made of 100% polyester is also lightweight. This package is also easily packable, and it comes with its pouch. Being imported, you need to check the size chart of the manufacturer. It comes in XS to XXL sizes.
- Lightweight and water-resistant and wind-resistant with a breathable mesh
- Not completely waterproof
Best golf rain gear for women conclusion:
The best waterproof item from our list has to be theCallaway Women's Waterproof Tonal Panel Golf Jacket It combines the essential waterproof feature but in also a breathable and flexible package. The adjustability is also welcome, and its range of sizes is second to none.